Tooth Extractions in Paramus, NJ
Tooth extraction is the surgical removal of a tooth from the mouth. Our Paramus oral surgeons perform extractions when teeth are too damaged or diseased to be saved. Although losing teeth may seem daunting, extraction is sometimes needed to restore oral function and prevent further dental problems.
Why Tooth Extractions Are Necessary
There are various reasons we may recommend tooth extraction in Paramus:
- Severe tooth decay or infection
- Advanced periodontal disease
- Before major orthodontic treatment to create space
- Fully impacted teeth causing issues
- Teeth blocking eruption of other teeth
- Supernumerary or extra teeth
- Advanced root resorption
- Extensive tooth fractures
During your consultation, Dr. Shnayder explains why extraction is recommended over other options in your unique case.
The Tooth Extraction Procedure
Our trained Paramus oral surgeons use advanced skills and technology to perform tooth extractions:
- Local anesthetic is administered to fully numb the area
- Dental elevators are used to loosen the tooth and widen the socket
- The tooth is extracted as gently as possible to minimize bone trauma
- For impacted teeth, the tooth may be sectioned for easier removal
- The socket is thoroughly cleansed and sutured closed
We utilize precision instruments and minimally invasive techniques for quick, comfortable extractions.
Recovering After Your Extraction
Once your numbness subsides, postoperative care is essential:
- Use ice packs to reduce swelling for the first 24 hours
- Take prescribed pain medication as directed
- Eat soft foods, chew on the opposite side
- Avoid brushing or rinsing near the socket
- Follow all post-op instructions closely
With proper oral hygiene and care, your extraction site will heal fully within a few weeks. We schedule follow-up visits to monitor your progress.
Why Extracting Teeth is Necessary
Although tooth loss is unfortunate, prompt extraction provides many oral health benefits:
- Alleviates pain from advanced tooth decay or gum disease
- Removes source of infections that can spread
- Stimulates regeneration of healthy bone
- Allows eruption of properly aligned teeth
- Makes space for tooth replacements
- Improves ability to chew and swallow
In the long run, removing problematic teeth prevents further dental deterioration and safeguards your overall oral and systemic health.
Affordable Paramus Care
The cost of tooth extractions depends on the type performed and anesthesia required. Many dental insurance plans cover extraction costs. Our team assists Paramus patients in maximizing insurance benefits.
If tooth extraction is recommended, trust our oral surgeons to provide exceptional care from start to finish. Contact our Paramus office today to schedule your appointment!